Put The Gloves Away: Full Service Gardening
If you’re like most people you constantly procrastinate when it comes to gardening. You tell yourself, “One day I will plant a garden”, or “I really want one I just don’t have time”, and even more commonly “I wish I could plant my own garden but I don’t know where to begin.”
Some common obstacles that get in the way of starting a garden include:
- Not having time to shop for and maintain a garden
- Starting projects but never finishing them
- Availability or affordability of some local produce
- Ease of access to farmers’ markets
- Not knowing where to start
- Not knowing what to grow
With society’s growing concerns over where our food comes from, more people are looking for options for growing their own food. There’s still the group that wants to but has no time, no interest, or simply doesn’t know where to begin. We look for ways to make our lives easier and hire services such as housekeeping, landscaping, and car maintenance. The most important thing to our health and well-being is our food and we often make excuses as to why we can’t prioritize it. Well, thankfully a blessing of the day and age in which we live is the availability of options. In other words…No more excuses!
Did you know there are full service gardening professionals that will come to your house, plant your garden, and maintain it? A professional will come to your home and grow what you want. You’ll have the peace of mind that you are getting nutritious food without the worry of maintenance. You’ll be able to sit on your deck in the evenings after work and harvest your produce, or just enjoy the manicured container or vertical gardens.
Service: Planning Your Garden
Most of these full service gardening providers offer a complete service from helping in your decision making on what works best in your space, to maintenance, and cleaning up with winterization. There are also many options for winter growing as well as indoor garden systems.
When talking to your full service gardening professional be sure to ask some of the following questions:
- Do you have rainwater harvesting options?
- Can you automate the system with watering schedules?
- Can you plant in the ground or in raised beds?
- Should I use containers or a vertical gardening option?
- Do I have hanging or vine options? I.e. hops, grapes, strawberries
- Can I use hydroponic piping options?
- What’s my sun exposure like?
- Is there a maintenance schedule for watering, fertilizing, harvesting, and winterizing?
- What are my organic options?
The full service gardening professionals that come to your home will plant the right products for the environment taking into consideration important factors such as sun, wind, space, water, and urban animals.
6 Cities That Have Full Service Gardening Professionals
You’ll likely be able to find these options for your area using a quick Google search, however here’s a list of six professional full service gardening resources in major North American cities.
- NYC – Thumbtack
- Seattle – Seattle Urban Farm Co.
- Philadelphia – Urban Jungle
- Boston – Green City Farmers
- Vancouver – Farm City Folk
- Toronto – Urban Farming Guys
Small Space Options
For a lot of people, space constraints are a chronic issue and therefore a deterrent to starting their own garden. Fortunately, maximizing space is sort of a modern day specialty of the gardening industry. Thanks to cool new innovations and solutions, prospective growers now have options such as container, vertical, or green wall gardening.
Any service professional you chose to hire will be able to inform you of the best space-saving option for your home.Feature Image: Vertical Farming. Image via Flickr.